Wednesday 25 August 2010

Meet the stallholders...

Apryl Brincklow from Blue Daisy Glass

Have you always been a 'crafty' person - how did you start making things to sell?
Yes I've always been crafty. I used to love making cereal box doll's rooms as a child and I have fond memories sitting doing crochet with my nan. I have tried many crafts but since buying a huge kiln have narrowed it down to ceramics and now glass. I have now found the right craft for me and the glass has taken over my kiln, my home and my life!
I started selling things when I needed money to buy more glass. I started selling to my family then the PTA persuaded me to try a stall at Christmas in the school. This went well so my New Year's resolution was to start selling online in 2010. I think the only New Year's resolution in my life not broken by February!

Tell us a bit about what you make...
I make jewellery, mostly pendants out of glass. Pieces of glass are handcut and then layered into a sandwich style lump. The layers can include confetti shards, strings and the fabulous dichroic glass, something originally developed by NASA. The pieces are then heated in a kiln until they 'fuse' together into one mass. The glass is very slowly cooled and finally the kiln is opened - the best bit! The edges round and the pendants have become smooth and very tactile.
I also teach 'Beginners fused glass jewellery workshops' in Great Bromley. They cost £25 for a 2 hour class and the participants create 2 pieces of very wearable fused glass jewellery.

Links:

No comments:

Post a Comment